If you are like most photographers, then titling, tagging, and editing your descriptions is tremendously time-consuming and a huge overall turnoff. Many tools have been developed to try and ease the pain, but so far there has been very little available out there to truly make a difference. The only “solutions” are expensive or they are third-party hosted and do not give you any meaningful control over your own photography (or graphic design) business.
Even available WordPress solutions like the popular SellMedia Plugin, while providing great steps in the right direction, have certain shortcomings.
Solution to Indie Selling: Professional Tool for Online Media Selling
To the rescue comes “Indie Selling” for photographers, videographers, and graphics artists — all complete with a brand-new Plugin called “grfx” (stands for graphics). This powerful microstock photography (and, yes, graphics) plugin for WordPress had initially been developed as a Theme-based solution. It has gathered a following of a few hundred enthusiasts over the past few years and is much-liked in the microstock community worldwide. Independently selling or “indie selling” of art online, from graphics to photography, video footage and even including e-books and other Downloadables, has taken a major step forward with the outstanding grfx Plugin for WordPress.
The new grfx Plugin for WordPress extends another popular WP solution, the popular Woocommerce e-shop, to allow mass-upload and selling your stock images online through your own store — and, unlike Shutterstock, Fotolia, iStock and others, on your own terms! Sell multiple image sizes, licenses, file types, useful for any image market including photography and selling other files, images etc. for download, but optimized for illustrators. The Plugin is brought to you by Leo Blanchette in Hawaii of clipartillustration.com who set up grfx, the illustrator network.
The grfx WordPress Plugin reads your meta-data from images, streamlining all upload/description processes and providing a huge productivity advantage to every photographer or microstock artist — no tedious editing required anymore.
Summing It All Up: Main Features of GRFX:
Great community support, and very strong SEO functionality built-in. Further details of the grfx Plugin for WordPress include:
- Compatible with Woocommerce and Woocommerce themes: Enjoy the benefits, security, and extensibility of a Woocommerce based store that sells stock images.
- FTP Support: Bypass the uploader and easily FTP your images.
- Beautifully watermarks your images: Protect your images with a professional looking watermark – automatically provided or of your creation.
- Automated image processing: – Set it and forget it. Process thousands of images at once.
- Set your own licenses: Easily set EULAs (End User License Agreements) for your images.
- Processes image Metadata: Extracts title, keywords, and description from your image files’ EXIF information and applies them to either all or single ones of your products, saving you lots of time.
- Illustrator network: Join the grfx illustrator network, open for photo and graphics artists alike.
- Support forums and community: (now closed)
- Tested and stable: We’ve been doing this a long time, and this package is well-tested and very stable.
The grfx Plugin is highly recommended.
Why Sell Independently?
As to why anyone would want to go down the route of selling their photos, graphics work, or other media on their individual website at all, however great the available tools, let’s simply have a look at the professional artists forum Microstockgroup from Sarpsborg in southesastern Norway’s Østfold province and bear in mind what real-life micro stock artists have to say about pay and other policies of conventional microstock agencies like iStock, Shutterstock, and similar. In light of steadily declining revenues and established agencies’ tendency toward lowering acceptance thresholds even further and favoring quantity over quality, selling individually on one’s own website can beat microstock selling very early on. Done right, it will not even beat but can easily surpass conventional microstock income levels as Search Engine Optimization can be done more effectively for self-controlled images and media files.